In the middle of lockdown, what better than a special Easter burger for your 100% egg-based menu? This wild salmon roe makes the perfect complement for your burger. To keep you occupied during this time at home, this home-made bun recipe is a must to make your burgers even more tasty.
- For the buns: Preparation: 20 minutes • Cooking: 15 minutes • Proofing: 5 hours
- For the burgers: Preparation: 20 minutes • Cooking: 10 minutes
- 120 g Petrossian salmon roe
- 2 balls Mozzarella
- Breadcrumbs (or blended stale bread)
- 100 g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 avocados
- The juice of 1 lemon
- ½ bunch coriander
- 20g butter
For the buns
- 500 g plain flour
- 40g fresh yeast (or 1 sachet of dried yeast)
- 10 g fine salt
- 25 g sugar
- 20 cl water (or a little more depending on the flour used)
- 8 cl milk
- 1 egg
- 30 g softened butter, cubed
- Lettuce (optional)
- Sesame or poppy seeds (optional)
For the buns:
- Mix the flour, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- Warm the water and milk together over a low heat.
- Dilute the yeast in the tepid water and milk mixture.
- Add to the bowl of flour, salt and sugar. Mix with a dough hook on speed 1 for 10 minutes until the dough peels off the edge of the bowl.
- Add the softened butter and mix again until you form a ball of dough.
- Cover and leave in the fridge for at least four hours.
- Divide into round balls of dough weighing approximately 100 g each and then place on a baking tray lined with baking parchment
- Leave to proof for another hour at room temperature.
- Whisk an egg yolk and brush over the rolls. Add sesame or poppy seeds if you have any.
- Place in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for about 15 minutes.
For the mozzarella:
- Slice the mozzarella into rounds of equal thickness.
- Beat the eggs and add to a shallow dish. Place the flour and breadcrumbs into two other dishes.
- Dip the mozzarella rounds into the flour, and then the beaten egg. Finish with breadcrumbs. Repeat the process, dipping into the egg and breadcrumbs a second time.
- Fry the breadcrumb mozzarella slices in a pan with a little oil.
- Place on a paper towel.
Ten minutes before serving:
- Cut the buns into two and butter the inside of the top half.
- Place the mozzarella slices on the other half of the bun, then place everything on an baking tray.
- Leave to brown in a pre-heated oven at 220°C for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coarsely mash the avocado with the lemon juice, and then mix with the chopped coriander.
- Assemble the burgers: add to the mozzarella discs a generous spoon of guacamole and the Petrossian wild salmon roe.
- Cover with the top half of the bun and serve immediately.
This Easter menu burger recipe with salmon roe can be made with other Petrossian specialities like trout roe or smoked pike roe.
Photographs : Marine de la Bretèche