Asparagus are finally in season and this King Crab and asparagus recipe from the Jason Atherton's hamper makes a perfect fresh and colourful lunch for the whole family. Jason Atherton has chosen Hospitality Action UK Covid 19 Emergency Fund, a charity providing support to all who work in the hospitality industry and are facing hardship because of the virus crisis. 10% of the sales of our hampers will go to them.
Crab & Asparagus Salad with radishes
Preparation : 20 minutes • Cooking : 10 minutes
For 4 people
- 24-30 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 120g radishes
- 1 granny smith apple
- The juice of 1 lemon (or to taste)
- 200g Petrossian Red King Crab Shoulder Meat
- 1 handful coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 handful chervil leaves, roughly chopped (if unavailable, use a mix of parsley and tarragon instead)
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to finish
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the vinaigrette:
- 50ml white-wine vinegar
- 300ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Whizz all the dressing ingredients with a hand blender until emulsified (or whisk). Pour into a sterilised bottle or jar, and refrigerate.
- Bring a pan of salted water to a boil and have ready a bowl of iced water. Blanch the asparagus for two to three minutes, until tender, then drain and plunge into the iced water, to stop it cooking. Once cool, drain again, spread out on a tray lined with kitchen towel, and refrigerate.
- Trim and thinly slice the radishes (with a mandoline, ideally). Put the slices in a bowl of iced water, so they stay crisp. Peel and core the apple, then chop into fine dice and put in a bowl of cold water with half the lemon juice, to prevent browning.
- In a bowl, mix the Red King crab, coriander and chervil. Drain the apple, toss into the crab with 60ml vinaigrette, season and add lemon juice to taste.
- Dress the asparagus with 20ml of vinaigrette. Spoon the crab mix on to individual plates, and top with six asparagus spears. Drain the radishes, toss in a little oil and season. Scatter radish slices on each plate and serve.
Discover 4 more Petrossian seasonal recipes by Jason Atherton in our Chef's Hamper, delivered to your door in 24h and available for a limited time only!
Photographs : Marine de la Bretèche